Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5.31.11

When I started this month's intention, longevity, I did it in honor of my grandmother.


I wanted to set forth in May to live with a full heart, as though nothing were missing; as though I had everything. I wanted to honor my grandmother's zeal for the more splendid things in life--from soap operas to sunshine--and fill myself up with the simplicity that bring happiness.


I wanted to adhere to the underlying themes of things that are durable, and things that are short-lived. 


What I discovered is that I do, in fact, have it all. My "all" is different from your "all," and that's to be expected. 


The only ones who can fill us up, are us. We are single-handedly in charge of the greatness of our lives. The journey sometimes takes us off course, hands us surprises or disappointments, but ultimately, we choose how we handle them. 


Not to mention Oprah again (but she did sort of inspire this whole blog in the first place), but today I started watching her DVR'd final episode from last week. She points out so many fantastic life lessons that resonated with me, and one in particular went something like this: Your one goal in this life is to figure out what your purpose is. And then do it. 


In two days, I will have completed my seventh year of teaching (well, eighth if you count that crazy student teaching year). There's something to be said for the "Seven Year Itch." I found myself in the middle of the year run-down by a few of my students, parents, and colleagues. At times it was hard to get up in the morning...truly, who wants to go to work when you feel like the day is set up to fail? 


But the longevity of my career, the fullness in my life, they aren't marked by those dreadful days. I am filled with the memories of the far more plentiful good days--with students who warm my heart and give me hope. They are my purpose.


Today, a student brought me these.


And then an hour later, a few more students brought me these.


Each bouquet came with a heartfelt letter (and then a whole pile of letters!), expressing their gratitude for a wonderful year. 


I added those letters to my "When I need to smile" file. 


Because on those really bad days, I will add to the longevity of my patience and love of teaching by looking back at all the good stuff. I will remember my purpose.


Today I am full of gratitude--in abundance--for being able to do what I do. I am grateful for the students put in the seats in my classroom, for filling the room...and my heart. 


It's a good life.


Now on to June. The intention is...



1 comment:

  1. We do have a good life! We are sometimes the lucky ones in this profession!
    G says you are a good writer!
    Thanks for the smiles friend!

    ReplyDelete