Thursday, May 5, 2011

5.5.11

I was totally excited to get our first Green B.E.A.N. delivery today!


And so was Will!


I was even more impressed with the "Happy Mother's Day" card and 3 tulips they included in the delivery. 


Totally falling for the gimmick! :o) 


Using our new locally grown organic produce, tonight's dinner was a boston bibb lettuce salad with grape fruit, avocado, smoked bleu cheese, toasted walnuts and a creamy balsamic vinaigrette.


And yes, it was DElicious. 


On a side note about eating...I've been inspired recently by a few friends who are all about "clean" eating: essentially avoiding as many highly processed, sugary, greasy, fake foods as they possibly can. 


I really started on this a few months ago when I was vitamin deficient--my meals throughout the day now include lots of raw fruits and vegetables, and supplements, to make sure I avoid the zombie look and feel I was experiencing prior to that. 


My journey into The Omnivore's Dilemma has also prompted a lot of this. I talk about the book a lot on here. Really, you should read it. 


From everything I've gleaned, my current trend includes...


Things I still allow myself to eat: all sweets in general. And cheese. Oh la la le fromage!


Things I am now finding make me feel like crap after I eat them: greasy, fatty, salty foods. (Those fries from last friday night did not sit well. At all.)


I'm thinking there is something to be said--of epic proportions--about what we put into our bodies. (Did you know that we are primarily made out of corn? Ninety-something percent of what we put into our bodies is full of corn in some form! Again--The Omnivore's Dilemma.)


If I'm going for the good, long life this month, I'd say I've struck a nice balance. "Long" in my "clean eating" habits, and "good" in the sweets I will keep eating, pretty much on a daily basis...until my pancreas freaks out and says its insulin can't help me process all the damn sugar. 


Finally tonight, a jumbo margarita toast to my grandmother. It certainly doesn't seem like three years have already passed. Despite the lack of your physical presence, we feel your spirit every day. Love. Cheers. 







No comments:

Post a Comment