Monday, May 2, 2011

5.2.11

Call this another can of worms, with a slightly different platform.


The entire day, my heart was heavy. Heavy hearts don't live long lives.


I am not sure there was another way to go about ousting Osama bin Laden. After 10 years of war, with injured and dead brave American men and women who fought to find him, I'm sure it seems as though justice has been served. 


Where I find the biggest issue with the outcome is the amount of celebrating Americans did when they heard the news.


Pile out into the streets? Wave our flag? Shout chants of victory and herald death? 


It seems so...barbaric...so uncivilized...so...what the terrorists did after 9/11.


This is a great read on my sentiments.


What follows is what I did about it. Living a long, good, life means you don't dwell in misery; you are proactive. You enact change.


As I read posts all day on facebook, and articles on the Internet, I found myself the minority pacifist in this situation. 


It took until this afternoon, but slowly, my fellow pacifists started emerging from what many might call a cave (albeit it was not the cave bin Laden wasn't hiding in).


I took a cue from facebook posts like these:


”I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.



Dr. King, I will create stars.


My mission to put peace and brightness in my heavy heart led me to my class this evening, where the intention was to be at peace with ourselves, and share it with the world; to get rid of our fears that hold us captive, and invite in peace; to heal ourselves, heal the world; to brighten ourselves, brighten the world. 


For 70 minutes, there was flow. There was movement with intention with breath.


And finally, in the last 30 seconds, as I saw the souls in front of me resting, bright, and completely at peace...my heart smiled. I smiled. 


Heavy heart no more. Tomorrow is a new day. 





1 comment:

  1. Kristin,

    Thanks so much for sharing this today. I tend to agree and have had the same thoughts all day but feel almost an oppressive, mob-like swell squashing my concerns.

    You put it perfectly, as always. :)

    - Meredith (Fouts) Klun

    ReplyDelete