Saturday, May 28, 2011

5.28.11

I've never really been into a few activities.


One is swimming. I've always sunk. I'm not good at moving my arms and legs simultaneously, and I'm rather afraid of drowning.


Another is softball--serious fear of being hit by a ball. Definitely not good at catching. Not one to dive in dirt to get to a base. Never looked good in hats or helmets.


Cycling would also be on the list. Bike to the market with a basket on the front and bike back with bread, wine, and fresh veggies? Sigh. Dreamy. Don a helmet (again, not a good look for me) and do it for fitness? No. 


But today I did just that. Today was about endurance (the longevity of our energy and cardiovascular and muscular strength, right?). Greg and I signed up for a triathlon next weekend (canoe-run-bike), and I (we) needed to make sure we could do the whole run and then jump on a bike thing. 


The running 5 miles went by, easy-peasy. Here I am, post-run.


The race has 18 miles of biking, so we did 3 five-mile loops. Loop one was interesting. Halfway through we needed to adjust my seat. And then I was having gear issues (as in, not being good at changing them). And my bike (a Trek Hybrid) kept slowing me down on certain surfaces, which became slightly frustrating. Greg and I would be side-by-side, and we'd hit a different type of blacktop and I'd drop back 10 feet without changing a thing. 


However, what a great test of our endurance, and we definitely made it, with energy to spare. Here I am, post-cycle, ready for lunch. I think I ended up rocking the helmet rather well.




Sooooo looking forward to the adventure next weekend. Like most things, it is much more fun to do with Greg by my side. 



2 comments:

  1. K...I did this tri in 2008 (maybe 09) and LOVED IT!! It was so great and we felt so fabulous at the end. The bike part was (in my opinion) the easiest, it is fairly flat and great scenery! Can't wait to hear about it. {ps. just don't flip the canoe...another couple did and it wasn't pretty} hehe...GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo thanks for the words of encouragement (and tips!) Katie! I am running across so many people who have done this race and say it's so fun! Looking forward to reporting out on our experience. ;o)

    ReplyDelete