Monday, May 9, 2011

5.9.11

When I first started this blog, I was inspired by an episode of Oprah and her guest, Ali McGraw's simple outlook on life. 


The purity of Ms. McGraw's happiness drew me to wanting to make changes in my 30th year--real changes to benefit my own happiness that started in my thoughts and trickled out to whomever wanted...inspiration.


I am now adding Betty White to my list of inspiration.


Katie Couric asked Betty White on this Sunday's CBS Sunday Morning if she was afraid of dying.


Betty said no. She said her mother always told her it was a secret, what happens to you when you die. And after someone passed away in her life, her mother always said, "How exciting for them--they know the secret!" 


Katie segued that to, "Betty, I know we are all very glad that you don't know that particular secret yet, but there are a lot of people out there that want to know your secret. What is your secret to such a good, long life of success and happiness?" 


My blogger radar was going into overdrive. Seriously? Katie had to have known my intention for the month!


Betty replied, "Having kindness and compassion. Caring about someone other than yourself."


And that, blog friends, is longevity according to Betty White.


What kindness can you do tomorrow? Random and small, anonymous or grand...tomorrow, can you put your own needs aside and...be kind. 

2 comments:

  1. Kindness and compassion are the essence of what we do every single day - teacher friend! We couldn't be who we are (and we are mighty good!) if we did not have these 2 essential ingredients!
    Let's do it again tomorrow.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing and inspirational post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete