Thursday, October 6, 2011

10.6.11

My son likes trucks. He likes pushing big dump trucks around the house, chasing after the dogs. He points out dump trucks as we drive along, wherever we are. He likes putting dirt into them in the backyard, and he likes picking up things around the house and taking them to the garbage can.


My son also likes building with blocks. He likes making big towers, then knocking them down while letting out a squeal of destructive delight.


My son also likes watching ESPN in the morning with his dad, and this summer, we spent the last fifteen minutes before bed at night watching baseball. 


My son also likes Dorothy the Dinosaur. He loves when she goes and does ballet on The Wiggles.


Today I asked him who he played with at school. He said "Pippa and Evie!" 


I can't help but love a girl named Pippa. Ms. Middleton sealed the deal on that one.


"What'd you do with Pippa and Evie?"


"We dood ballet!" 


Without skipping a beat, I asked, "Can you show me some moves?" 


He hopped around a bit, and then Greg walked into the room.


"Did you do this Will?" he asked, as he demonstrated a lovely arabesque balance.


Will looked at him, grinned, and gave it a shot. Upon falling into a fit of giggles, I realized we had just done some seriously healthy parenting.


Encourage my child to explore any and everything that interests him? Not give in to gender stereotypes? Not be afraid of typical "non-male" activities?


Yes please. To all of the above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment