Sunday, October 2, 2011

10.2.11

I strive to create a healthy balance of yin and yang throughout the course of the week.


I say "week" because it's often difficult--for me--to strike that balance in a day. 


A few days ago, I posted about being superhuman--about multi-tasking and getting it all done and the secret being one simple word: breathe.


There's the yin to the yang--remembering to take a deep breath, refocus on where you are, who you are, and what you're doing--in the middle of chaos. 


Truth is, I'm not superhuman. (Gasp! She's not?) No, I'm not. Those "getting it all done" days are maybe once a week. Maybe.


The rest of the time, I'm treading water just like the rest of us. Sometimes, I don't even tread water. I sit on the side of the pool and watch everyone else work their tails off.


It's a balance...doing too much, not doing enough, and not necessarily finding the inbetween but being absolutely okay at either end of the spectrum. 


And I am.


Today I attended a yin workshop. In yoga, yin is slowing down, easing into poses, never forcing something that isn't there. 


Even though I did spend 99% of the practice in my breath, in the pose, feeling the muscles, then the fluid, then the connective tissues and joints start to open, I spent 1% of it flashing to intentions for the world to find this beautiful balance: slowing down, even in the middle of chaos.


So while Greg is dragging the ditch digger through the side yard to fix our drainage as I type, and I've got my fantasy scores alerting on my phone, and a random NFL game on TV, and papers to grade on the chair, I'm practicing my yin...a cup of tea, a warm blanket, and a deep breath. It might be my only respite this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment