Wednesday, October 26, 2011

10.26.11

Thirty-two years ago, the crazy kid I married was born.


I don't know that his parents realize what a gem they welcomed into the world on that day, so tonight, this blog post is for them--for his dad, who may or may not read this on his iPhone (he's 74!), and for his mom, who's spirit can be felt whenever too many dust bunnies collect in the corners of my house (she would make Greg vacuum every night after dinner).


Thank you, Margie and Peter, for raising a son with the smarts to never really crack a book, and not only skate by just fine in his schooling, but continue to beat me at my strength games, like Boggle and Scrabble (which are now banned from our house).


Thank you for a son who has a dry, sarcastic sense of humor, who is always the first one to get me laughing when things get intense, even if Monty Python stuff is still beyond my comprehension.


Thank you for a son raised by an engineer, who taught him how to fix stuff, break stuff, and put it back together. It has saved us a fortune in home repairs.


Thank you for a son who considers all options--often multiple times for far too long--before making a decision.


Thank you for allowing your son to make mistakes, and being forgiving (I'm thinking of a certain pyro incident that happened around the age of 12). It will make him a great father figure when we need it the most.


Thank you for giving him a thirst for knowledge of all things random. If I need to know who invented gum, or the name of a baseball player from the 1950s, I have a breathing encyclopedia to help me out.


Thank you for giving him the ability to carry a tune. That singing voice wooed me from the moment I heard it, and I still feel woozy when I hear it, even if he is singing Wiggles tunes.


But I think what I thank you for the most is for shaping him into the husband and father he is at thirty-two. I know he looks for your approval, Peter, and I know he misses you, Margie, every day. You should know that he is kind, generous, intelligent, handy, hilarious, romantic, athletic, driven, sensitive, strong, vivacious, and, well, wonderful.


Happy Birthday, my love.







No comments:

Post a Comment