Sunday, October 23, 2011

10.23.11

If I've learned anything in these nine years of teaching, it's that family dinners and family traditions make a world of difference in a child's temperament, happiness and overall well-being. One might say that these kids with strong family ties are happier...and healthier.


I suppose this is part of the reason I'm so mushy when it comes to our own family traditions. I envision Will saying twenty years from now, "I remember when my family did (insert tradition) for (insert holiday)."


So after the pumpkin patch last weekend, it was time to decorate the gourds. Greg carved, and Will and I painted.


First, he chose the ironic path: orange paint on an orange pumpkin.


Then, my failed attempts at getting him to wash and dry the brush between colors lead to a healthy habit of letting go of the idea of him staying clean. Eh, it was washable paint.


Alas, our traditional Halloween display.


We wrapped up the day with a family dinner.


And although I won't use this as complete confirmation, whenever Will spontaneously declares, "Happy!" I can't help but think we are doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment