Monday, October 17, 2011

10.17.11

I saw this quote today on a tinybuddha post on facebook:


"Our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world as being able to remake ourselves." -Gandhi


If I recall correctly, Gandhi also said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." 


The two quotes speak volumes for me as tomorrow begins our first session on bullying in Advisory class.


I have a group of really, very sweet sixth graders, and at least one of them is a sneaky bully, who has recently been called out on her antics. Sadly, bullying isn't just stealing lunch money and giving swirlies these days--it has been taken to brand new levels with the online and texting bit thrown in the mix.


So I'm nervous about tomorrow. I'm nervous about them having the courage to be okay with speaking up, about discussing how a bully makes them feel. And then I'm nervous about them leaving me after our thirty minutes of work and going back to being a bully or letting it happen. 


I want this to be a healthy discussion, with healthy results. 


But if I am going by Gandhi, I can only resolve to change me, not others.


What I need to do is just that: be the change. I have to stop any and all bullying behaviors in my room. The "capping" on each other, the put-downs, the little under-the-breath one-liners--I have to take a stand, and make them not tolerated. If a kid throws a verbal punch at me, I've got to quit with my sarcastic zingers back. I need a plan that I follow through with if students choose to push forward with their remarks anyway. 


I have to be the healthy example.

No comments:

Post a Comment