Tuesday, October 25, 2011

10.25.11

I spent part of my plan bell today feeding my brain.


I don't have nearly enough time to read. Plain and simple. I would love to squeeze in a novel, a three page article, or even a blog post here and there. But it'd be just that--squeezing--and I don't have time to think about what I read, which irritates me.


Today I was presented with a good 40 minutes of time to nourish my brain, and so I did just that.


Familiar with elephant journal? If not, link to it and love it. It's an online magazine, geared to yogis and vegans and democrats and non-yogis, carnivores, and republicans. There truly is something for everyone, and yeah, it's generally political in nature. Sign up for their weekly emails. It's free, and you get to see the top ten most read articles each week, which is handy for someone like me who puts "reading" and "being able to eat salty greasy foods after 8:00" into the same category (which would be "Things I no longer do"). 


And then you get to think about what you read. It's awesome.


This week's elephant journal weekly email is where I linked to this gem by Michael Boyle, excerpt below, which got me thinking (and since I like to think after what I read, this adhered to my goal):


We work hard to be sustainable and charitable, recognizing that it is a duty of being human to give more than we take. Not only is it a responsibility, but contributing to something greater than “I”, “me” and “mine” is the #1 factor in cultivating a life of joy and happiness. So, hopefully we can remember to use the Internet only enough to gain inspiration to get out there and live a real life!


Aside from the fact that our society should probably step away from our computer screens and start doing things instead of just watching them, reading them, or witnessing others do them, I found myself also thinking about the role of this blog. After all, it's on the internet.


What's my intention really? If someone takes two minutes to load it and read it, what do I want them to get out of it? Is it to inspire? Who am I inspiring? Is this about reaching out to others, or is it about self-help--for me? 


I believe my initial intention was to help myself. How can I be, think, love, live better? Turns out this blog has fulfilled me in that aspect. In fact, it's been one of the healthiest moves I've made--emotionally and mentally, I allow myself to check-in, every evening, and see what's good


And being okay with what isn't.


To take it one step further, I share these sometimes incredibly personal thoughts with the world. Well, the facebook world and the people who google things like, "cartoon people tripping over a rock" and stumble across me (no pun intended, but really google?).


It makes me vulnerable. I risk being judged. I hate thinking that someone is judging my thoughts and words, and holy cow. What a lesson in letting go of that fear! 


But for as much as it has brought to me, I (think!) it has brought just as much to all of you. Your response, both publicly and privately has at times brought me to tears. 


So to Mr. Boyle in his quote above: thank you for a.) allowing me to read today, and think--about how I give back, and how I'm doing my human being duty, and how I'm using the internet. Just enough. 


I'll now close the laptop, turn around, and keep living life.


Until tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment