Sunday, July 31, 2011

7.31.11

My month of wealth has drawn to a close, and my summer isn't far behind.


Tonight we took advantage of the cooler 90 degree weather and walked to the township festival. We've done this before, and I recall thinking years ago when we did it, "Gosh, that walk was a lot further than I thought," and I'll be darned if I didn't think the same exact thing this year.


Far indeed. Two miles each way to be exact. 


So we arrived, sweat-soaked tee-shirts and streaked bug spray, and immediately stumbled upon this game.


Will did a great job feeding Mike, and even got an enormous fake fly as a prize (which is remarkably better than the other real bugs he brings me to show and tell).


Then we saw a fire truck. To say that Will shows slight delight in the presence of big red vehicles that make loud noises would be an understatement. He enjoyed touching the tire, and then immediately looking to see if the firemen were looking, but he drew the line when they invited him into the driver's seat. 


After a rather disappointing show of festival food, we took in the band. Will's dance moves were on point. (You don't need to watch this; it's really just for my mom.) 


Sleepy, and surrounded by 14-year-old girls in black tight mini skirts circa Debbie Gibson and Tiffany, complete with off-the-shoulder belly shirts, waiting in line for free tinsel hair (tinsel hair?) and shrieking every time they saw someone they hadn't "like, seen ALL SUMMER!" it was time to go home. (And time for me to start preparing myself for the school year, as Mrs. Kauffman the meanie with no patience almost told a few to start walking and talking instead of blocking the sidewalk, as though I were on bus duty in May.)


And as we walked home in the direction of the setting sun, the locusts winding down their calls for the day, and our four days shy from two-years-old tot entertaining us with the oh-so-many songs he's memorized (much like his mom, the cure for cancer won't be coming from him, as his brain will be full of too many song lyrics), it occurred to me for the thousandth time this month exactly how complete and full and rich and wealthy my little life is. 


August's intention is...

1 comment: