Thursday, July 21, 2011

7.21.11

I read an article recently on the whole idea of setting an intention before your yoga practice.


It summed it up rather nicely--I thought I would, in turn, sum it up for you. (But if you want to read the whole thing--because I really liked what the guy had to say--click here.)


An intention isn't a goal. It's not wanting a nicer rear end, a bigger house, or a better-paying job. It's a thought to guide your actions. It's the lessons you need to help you along your journey of letting crappy stuff go and inviting in the good. You set the same intention over and over again, until it's a part of you--until it's a part of your daily thoughts and you begin to notice the changes in yourself. 


My most favorite intention that I have ever set--and that I continue to set--is non-judgment. Not judging others, and most importantly, not judging myself. When I look back on the first time I ever set that intention in a yoga class, I can see how much progress I have made. I can remember exact moments of shedding layers and layers of negative perceptions of myself and others in classes over the years--releasing them through sweat and tears (yes, tears in the middle of practicing, and even teaching!). 


And yet I know I won't ever come to a point where that journey ends. I'll keep shedding and growing and evolving, but I won't ever be the "perfect" non-judgmental person.


All I can do is continue to grow, to catch myself in the negative thoughts and reactions, and actively change them. 


It's powerful stuff. 


Each month I've been setting an intention of something new, of keeping that thought in the back of my mind. Really, it's been helping me see the brightness in each day.


With "wealth" this month, I've been noticing the richness that is my life--each sweet moment is wrapped up in the most perfect little package, even if there is no bow or glitter or twine. Maybe it doesn't even look like a gift at all. 


No one would think that eating Chinese carry-out with my boys tonight would be a sweet gift.


But for me, it had a bow and glitter and twine and the box was even Tiffany blue.


That's intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment