Monday, July 4, 2011

7.4.11

I was taking a yoga class last week when the instructor threw out this quote, "The goal in life isn't to be happy. The goal in life is to be free."


Happy Fourth of July to you, dear blog reader. Let your own personal freedom ring!


This could be interpreted in so many ways. Me, I saw it as the freedom to make the choices which lead to our happiness.


When you think about it, when you roll out of bed every day, you immediately begin with a choice: will I be happy today, or will I be consumed with sadness? 


As the day goes on, you again have the freedom to choose: Will I let what gets thrown at me bring me down, or will I go with the flow and see the bright side? 


Not every day is perfect; we don't choose to be cheery and positive in every moment.


But could you imagine how emotionally wealthy you'd be if you did? You've got this bank of emotions...why not choose to fill it with kind thoughts, about yourself, and about others. What could possibly happen if you did? Only good, I would think.


Some of my readers are currently guffawing. "Yeah right," I can hear you saying. "She's crossed the line into fruit loop territory." 


I read this article recently from elephantjournal.com. It was all about dealing with crappy people. If there is one thing I would say I struggle with more than anything, it's people who I let bring me down, through words, actions, etc., either directly or indirectly. 


Know what the secret is? Aside from avoiding them, don't talk about them. Don't dwell on them, don't bring them up in stories, don't discuss them in any capacity. Don't. Gossip.


After one full week of trying this, I have to say it is remarkable how well it works!


Try it. Pick what's bugging you the most...your financial situation, your relationships, friendships, your job. Now stop talking about it. Replace the urges to bring them up or discuss them with something else--anything else. You have the freedom to choose to do it. And that choice can lead to greater happiness.


I think you'll find it works for you--to some degree. There are always things that need to be discussed, with a therapist or otherwise. But if you're just griping, cut it out. If you're gossiping, stop. 


Start to become emotionally wealthy. Why not just try? No time like the present. 

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, brilliant recommendation. No talking about "he who must not be named." Starting...now! Thanks buddy!

    ReplyDelete