Wednesday, July 27, 2011

7.27.11

I think that one of the many blessings of being a teacher is the opportunity to see people from all different situations and circumstances, and feeling so much gratitude for everything that I have. 


Another one of those blessings is being able to help my students in every capacity possible.


Yesterday, I had the opportunity to lead a yoga session with the Cross Country team at Colerain High School. I saw several former students, including one young man who's mother is battling colon cancer. Her progress is good, but I made sure to ask how she was doing with her treatments. The family is truly "good people." You won't find sweeter, more caring gentleness than this family.


What I didn't know, is that another of my former students in the group--just a few kids down from the one I inquired with--has a mother battling a very rare form of blood cancer. 


It circulated in an email today, a 5K being held to help this particular student's family raise money to pay for everyday expenses. Their medical bills are topping $300,000, and there is currently no money coming in, as mom just had a stem cell transplant, and has to be quarantined for a whole year!


I think a wonderful thing about this particular family is that the mom who is ill helped to establish an organization that helps people with disabilities find work. It's now a nationwide program. How unfortunately ironic that she is now the one who needs the help.


But what a wonderful opportunity to show her the same compassion she has always shown for others.


I'm posting the links to help out here, so that we may share the wealth...either monetarily, or through prayer and intention. Whatever you can give is always more than enough.


To read the family's story and make a donation online, click here.


To read more about the 5K happening August 13th, click here.

Peace and love.







No comments:

Post a Comment