Friday, July 29, 2011

7.29.11

I wrote about a week ago regarding intention setting in yoga practice.


This morning, I practiced for the first time with this goddess


I don't recall setting an intention. I was very in the moment and in the breath (which is a good thing since the practice involved rolling prana through the body to dictate your movements). 


And really, the whole class was slowed way down. It was almost like a workshop. We probably only did 6-8 poses the entire hour and a half. (Interestingly enough, last week I had a conversation with several yogis about how we crave slow practices, that the quick power stuff just isn't for us anymore. There's something about allowing yourself the space to breathe. That breath...that prana...ah, such powerful stuff.)


We began with a sea of OMs. Sitting in a tight circle, I began my OM as soon as I heard the person next to me. 


The room filled. It moved. It sang. It brightened.


As we moved, this beautiful yoga goddess, Karina, began talking about letting the earth nourish you; letting the cool dirt absorb whatever you wanted to give it, and then accepting the food it would give back to you.


I haven't a clue what I released today. I cannot pinpoint any specific emotion or event or person or time in space. I just shed tears. 


And they came in waves, like our sea of OMs, one after another. 


She gave me a dreamy adjustment in a particularly open and inviting twist. "Let yourself be vulnerable," she said. "You don't have to be afraid." 


I have spoken those words in my classes before, encouraged my students to do just that. Today, I cried as they were said to me.


I walked away feeling exactly what her intention was for us: nourished.  It was therapy not for my mind or emotions; it was therapy for my soul. 


Filled up and rich with her teachings, I am nourished.



1 comment: