Wednesday, July 20, 2011

7.20.11

It's time to start revealing these money-saving mini makeovers!


Mini Makeover Number One:
In my family room, I had this hideous bar.


It belongs in the chocolate brown wood-paneled dark dungeon that this room was originally.


So I used the new Rustoleum Countertop Paint in Pewter to paint the counter (which is the same color as my kitchen counters), and color matched the color of my kitchen cabinets (which I had already done to paint some bookcases in the kitchen) for the dark brown cabinet.


The new faucet is here, just not installed.


The new door hardware (handles) have helped me get rid of that medieval look, but I've yet to find door hinges...so still just a bit of work to do (the doors are not attached in the photo above). 


Mini Makeover Number 2:
Also in our family room was this blank wall. 


And this table with leaves, which we used as our dining room table a lifetime ago when we lived in 900 square feet in Mariemont (you can also see the big blank wall on the left).


So I took the leaves off, and changed its location (more on that in a second). I already love the table (as opposed to my strong distaste for it before, I think "love" means we've come a long way). I plan on refinishing the table (and adding a small piece of trim where you can see the pieces of wood that used to hold up the leaves), 


but it's currently on the waiting list until Will's furniture is finished. Also, the top is veneer, which will be a tricky refinish.


Then I purchased three Ribba frames at Ikea (actually, I purchased four, and a little two-year old stepped on one, and rather than deal with the hassle of driving to West Chester and exchanging it, I decided three would work just fine), and filled them with the same piece of red scrapbook paper (with a velour pattern on it) for $1.49 a sheet. 


I switched out the pricey designer super tall lamp on the table, for a smaller one we have in our lamp graveyard in the basement, and altogether, I now have this homey look. 


And no, it's not centered on the wall, mainly because that's our bedroom door on the right side, and I don't want the family room crowding my sleeping space any more than it already does! Also, once the curtains are up, I'll shift the artwork on the left, and it'll look like a corner of accessories.


Aside from finishing the bar, I'm just waiting on the curtains, and this makeover will be complete!


Feeling inspired yet? Go enter this month's giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment