Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2.8.11

Many of us--myself included--find change a bit...uncomfortable.


We get used to the status quo. We like things cushy, familiar, normal. 


Lately I've found myself delving back into a few old "comfortable" trains of thought that really don't serve me any positive purpose. They are thoughts I've battled and won against numerous times, but it leaves me wondering: why do I keep going back? 


Because it's comfortable.


I'm re-posting this from the DailyOM website (phenomenal daily emails; sign up for them here).


Your current comfort zone did, at one time, serve a purpose in your life. But it is representative of behaviors and patterns of thought that empowered you to cope with challenges of days past. Now, this comfort zone does little to facilitate the growth you wish to achieve in the present. Leaving your comfort zone behind through personal expansion of any kind can prepare you to take the larger leaps of faith that will, in time, help you refine your purpose. Work your way outward at your own pace, and try not to let your discomfort interfere with your resolve. With the passage of each well-earned triumph, you will have grown and your comfort zone will have expanded to accommodate this evolution.


So, I will say that each time I revisit this comfortable (albeit negative) way of thinking, I grow a bit more. It takes less time to conquer. And I go back less frequently. One of these days, the comfort that this place offers me will be uncomfortable. And that, for me, is the ultimate goal. 


I remember in a yoga class several years ago, my teacher said, "Whatever it is, let it go. Let it drip off of you. Shed it. Leave it on your mat. You don't need it." It was such a powerful moment for me--so powerful that it is essentially the theme of every yoga class I teach--the idea of letting go of negativity and junk and the weight I was letting bog me down. It's so easy to just keep it all a part of you. Isn't it easier to stay the same than it is to change? :o) Ah but change is good. The only thing constant in this crazy, crazy world is change. 


Let yourself outgrow those comfortable places that don't serve you anymore. I'll join you. :o) It's all part of the journey.







No comments:

Post a Comment