Saturday, February 5, 2011

2.5.11

Well, we made it. 


We guided ourselves and Will through one and a half years, and all three of us survived. Happy 18 months Will!


In celebration, William had "panancakes" for breakfast, and his first peanut butter and honey sandwich for lunch (and there was no allergic reaction--wahoo! And for those wondering why we are celebrating, our ped's rule of thumb on nuts is no trace of them til 18 months). 


Every family has their own most favorite pancake recipe. When you think of it, and especially when you eat it, it's instant comfort. When I was growing up, we had "Daddy's Famous Pancakes," and they involved oatmeal, mashed bananas, and any other fruit we had on hand. I'm instantly transported back to sunday mornings, my dad reading the newspaper (and reading aloud only the exceptionally funny comics) and my mom clipping coupons, and my brother and I secretly willing our parents to not make us go to sunday school. 


When Will was still in the womb, Greg and I came up with "panancakes." I don't remember the specifics. But I do recall making them with Greg, and staring lovingly at each other as we dreamed of making them for our children on weekend mornings. (Oh weren't those the days of eating a peaceful meal?) :o) Plus, we were pretty proud of ourselves for merging banana and pancake into one word. 


It doesn't happen often, these panancakes, but today was extra special. So while it rained/iced/sleeted/snowed outside this morning, we filled our bellies with our own family tradition of warmth and comfort. Someday, Will will tell someone about our weekend mornings. I hope it's with the same warm nostalgia as I have.






Panancakes
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1 cup milk
pinch salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 sliced bananas


Sift flour and baking soda into a bowl. In separate bowl whisk egg, milk, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Add sifted flour-soda mixture. Whisk until no lumps. Pour batter onto griddle/pan and place a few banana slices on each pancake. Flip when ready and cook on other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment