Sunday, February 6, 2011

2.6.11

Musings on the Super Bowl from the comfort of my own couch.


1. The Packers just scored. Again. If they win this, they will be my heroes. I apologize Steelers fans. Something about your low blow take out of Carson in the playoffs in 2005 that subsequently made him suck ever since makes me hate you. As a yogi, I should not hate. And yet, I do. It's still early. WorthlessHotdog might stop throwing interceptions in the next three quarters. 


2. The Wheat Thin cracker is merely the vehicle to getting the artichoke dip into my mouth. It may as well be a spoon. Perhaps I'll make the switch soon.


3. If HGTV comes to do our makeover and does nothing more than leave a bucket of Bud Light on my bathroom sink, I will be slightly disappointed. At least choose a beer that costs more than a dollar and doesn't take like a frat party. 


4. Speaking of beer, I haven't had any since summer. Wine seems to be my cold weather beverage of choice. However, in honor of The Big Game, I purchased my favorite: Tap Room amber ale. Try it. You'll like it. 


5. Artichoke dip now completely gone. Jeans would need to be unbuttoned. If I weren't wearing jeggings. Oh yeah. Jeggings. 


6. Every time a penalty is called against Pittsburgh, Greg says in a strange and gleeful high pitched voice, "cheeeeeeaterrrrrrs." It makes me laugh.


7. Also making me laugh: there's a random guy on the sideline. His helmet is off. I ask who it is. Without missing a beat, Greg knows. So much stuff in that man's brain.


8. Random fact I just learned from the man with useless football information: a player's jersey number indicates his position. 


9. Let's talk about Christina. No one will ever top Whitney Houston's version of Super Bowl Star Spangled Banner amazingness. Faith Hill came close. Christina, despite her word flub, I thought did an a-ok job. Her make up was not very flattering, and there was a rumor in college that so-and-so who knows so-and-so went to high school with her and said she smells like hot dogs, but...I thought she did just fine. 


10. Now let's talk about Michael Douglas' little spot to introduce the game. It gave me goose bumps. Greg says, "He sounds terrible!" I reply, "The man had throat cancer!" Greg reads Sports Illustrated. I read People. The patriotism surrounding this Super Bowl seems extra heightened. Perhaps it's in light of the democracy we so fiercely protect and promote, the "Go Egyptians!" we can't help but cheer a bit this week. And then, too, perhaps it's the events in Arizona from last month, the fact that a representative of our democracy was attacked and survived. Whatever it is, the Super Bowl spurred a patriotic revival, in me, and perhaps in a lot of other Americans this evening as well. I read a lot online this week about how this Super Bowl would be amazing, not because of the teams, but because of the cities that the teams represent: blue-collar, hard-working America. And in this economy, Go Team America. 


11. The second quarter has commenced. It's almost Will's bedtime, and therefore probably mine (I am, after all, on beer number 2). Glee is set to DVR, and all fingers and toes are still crossed that Green Bay momentum does not shift to...well...you know. Tonight, I root for the Cheese. 





1 comment:

  1. Friend you inspired me to turn on the game....I have to wait 30 minutes to wash out the hair dye (trailer trash America) so I might as well pop open a Bud and watch some football!

    ReplyDelete