Thursday, February 24, 2011

2.24.11

Greg and I have amped up our workout routine and decided to change it up a bit. 


So tonight: spinning. Stepping far outside my comfort zone on this one.


The most uncomfortable thing (aside from my rear, which I'll get to in a second) was walking into class and saying, "Hey! We're new! We have no clue what to do, how to position the bike, or what to expect!" I don't know why that is so uncomfortable for me...it's like being the new kid in school. 


The instructor, who's biceps glistened in the sweaty lighting, was friendly, kind, and helpful. She sat us on bikes, and away we went. 


Dim the lights...


...cue the music...


...I literally thought a movie was going to come on. (No really--aren't there spinning classes where you watch movies or am I making that up?) Work out in the dark? 


Well thank the good Lord it was dark--I wouldn't want anyone to witness the faces I was making during intervals, sprints, jumps, or whatever the heck any of that stuff is called.


Halfway through, I looked at Greg and said, "This isn't for wussies. I'm a wussy." 


I'll be honest...it was tough, but nothing I felt was going to make me die. I walked away with a thirst for more (and about a gallon of water), and an intense 60 minutes of solid cardio under my belt. Also under my belt: a rear end that doesn't hurt until I sit down. And then it's like I'm sitting on rocks and those pointy things at the top of wrought iron fences. 


Aaaaand I can't wait to go back next week. 


Spinning tip from yoga: if you know mula bandha and uddiana bandha, it is sooooooo helpful in the stand up riding. Grateful for that knowledge.







2 comments:

  1. You keep INSPIRING me....please stop so that I have a chance to take your advice and BREATH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new adventure...it gets easier...or harder...whichever way you move the resistance...but I have a feeling you are not going to take the easy road here:) I taught Spinning in college..used to teach about 5-6 classes a week...I burned out real quick:)

    ReplyDelete