Sunday, February 20, 2011

2.20.11

I got to snuggle and love on this little one this morning.




Then I went home to this big one, who has announced loud and clear he doesn't do the high chair anymore. Apparently it is uncomfortable and does not suit such a big, grown-up boy.


Which means I need to get started on the next little one, pronto. :o)


I ended my day at the annual Kauffman gathering to celebrate Margie Kauffman's life. Margie would have been my mother-in-law. This year marks 10 years of her being gone.


I only met Margie twice. 


The first time I took Greg to the Sadie Hawkins dance, and in her forest green living room, Greg put a lovely sunflower corsage on my wrist. On the transfer from dinner to the dance, she opened up the moon roof in her mini van for Greg and I "to look at the stars." 


The second time, Greg and I went to go see Apollo 13. She went to another movie, and Greg and I were awkward 14-year-olds in the theater. He was consumed with being an astronaut, and I was consumed with whether or not he would hold my hand. 


He didn't.


But I bought the soundtrack to the movie and dreamed of him doing so. 


So we toasted her tonight, as we often do, at Bucca di Bepo. And although I am firmly comfortable among the Kauffmans, I do wonder what it would have been like with a mother-in-law. Would she have made me...squirm?


From what I've been told, she would hate that we have three dogs (she was a neat freak), but she would probably appreciate my attempt at her Christmas cookies every year. I would probably never dress Will in enough layers (she was a nurse), but she would love that I do yoga. 


You know those baby monitors can transmit funny things...during one of Will's viruses, he was particularly fussy and having a hard time breathing, therefore sleeping. Greg and I were getting him Tylenol, rocking him, refilling his humidifier, and finally putting him back down. As we climbed back into bed, Greg said, "Did you hear that?" I didn't. "I was just thinking about how much I missed my mom, how she would know exactly what to do to make Will feel better, and I swear I just heard her voice say 'It's okay,' over the monitor." I smiled. 


So Margie, I know there were some heavy hearts at the table tonight. I think it's safe to say your presence is still very much missed. But thank you for giving Greg a little bit of comfort. It's okay with me if you pop by every now and then. Just don't point out the dog fur in the corners.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my --oh my.... this post had such depth yet I could NOT get past the simple line....I must get started on the next little one....REALLY???
    Do it! 4 is a great number.... 2 and 2 - it is always even

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, there will be more little ones...they won't be born until next year though. :o) and they won't be forming anytime soon. :o) just know the intention is there. :o) FOUR...ha. :o)

    ReplyDelete