Thursday, February 17, 2011

2.17.11

Nine years ago today, almost exactly right now, at the age of 21, I put on a gift shop-bought "I'm A Big Sister" t-shirt, and with tears in my eyes sang "Blackbird" alongside my brother and aunts as I gazed at my new little sister, Olivia, through the nursery window. 

A few months after she was born, I took on the roll as her full-time nanny. Our summer days consisted of naptimes spent sleeping on my numb arms (because if I moved her she'd wake up). We jogged in the jogging stroller sometimes three times a day. And we took soooooo many trips to Target, to pass the time, to buy nail polish, to buy little Olivia outfits that were just so cute with money I truly did not have.

Let's also not forget the looks of pity we'd get from people who thought I was an unwed teen mom (you think I look young now--I looked 15 back then!). Today I suppose I would be asked when MTV was coming to film me...

We were there when The Wiggles first came on the scene, singing their songs in the car (or me singing them to you), and Olivia and I helped plan the first Today show wedding.

I learned quickly how to change diapers, warm a bottle, dodge a spoon fling of peas, and how completely unprepared I was for a child of my own. 

But today, Miss Olivia, as we celebrate your ninth birthday (nevermind how old this makes me feel), I owe my experiences with you to making me a better mom. I became comfortable with little ones because I got to experience so much of you as a wee one.

I would not trade your snuggles and cuddles and hugs and pigtails, your cries and hair-pulling and poopy diapers for anything in the world. 

I love you sweet little sister. I can't wait to see you continue to grow (and maybe give me experience to make me comfortable enough to raise a teenager). 

Especially sentimental, tomorrow, one of my most favorite people in the world is going to meet her daughter for the first time. Although Olivia is not my daughter, I know that my friend will experience the same joys with her daughter that I have had with Olivia...except she will have to do all that mom stuff that I never had to. :o)

Happy Birthday O.
xoxo
Keek

Olivia's 5th Birthday. If only I had a scanner to put one of her sweet baby photos here.
If only she still loved all things High School Musical and Disney Princess. :o)








1 comment:

  1. Sweet friend, sweet teacher, sweet mother, sweet Sister! Bless you friend!

    ReplyDelete