Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2.15.11

Tonight I got creative in the kitchen to prove a point to someone.


Taking my inspiration from a Vegetarian Times recipe, tonight's dinner was "Indiatalian" fusion cuisine. I have no idea if someone has already coined that phrase. I would like to buy all the rights and retire wealthy. The recipe is located at the end of the post.


And now, here's an open letter to the individual who inspired such creativity.


Dear Respectable Adult,


I know you weren't comfortable with your child doing yoga in my classroom. Never mind the fact that in 7 years, no parent has ever questioned my curriculum, or the fact that we stretch, balance, breathe, and relax and specifically state before we begin that yoga itself is NOT a religion. 


No, never mind those things.


I am disappointed that you called yoga a "cult" practice. 


I am more disappointed that you mocked my teachings without gathering all of your facts first.


I was initially angry. After feeling angry, I moved into the next phase: really freaking angry. 


After kind and supportive words from dear friends and my superiors, I realized I can't do anything to teach parents. I can only teach kids. 


What turned the day around for me, and what I will be forever grateful for in this experience, is the 11-year-old student who told me he meditates before bed to clear his head and help with his sleep walking and night terrors, and requested that I show him some additional yoga poses that would help him meditate better. 


This student sat next to yours in my classroom. 


Peace. No discord. Everyone chill, cool, calm, collective. No spells were cast, and no one went up in flames at a stake.


If we could only live like our kids.


So tonight I took our two worlds that you think are so vastly different, and I brought them together. A little bit of Americana in the pasta, cheese and Italian flavors, and then a couple dashes of some Far East spices (I think only used in cults), and I created this beautiful dish of nothing but love and harmony. 


If only we could live like our spices and vegetables. 


Life would be so much more delicious.


And comfortable. 


Indiatalian Pasta Love

  • Enough cooked pasta to feed as many people as you need.
  • 1 head of broccoflower, chopped and cooked for about 6 minutes in boiling water.
  • about 1 cup of chopped sun dried tomatoes (I get mine in oil and garlic)
  • 5-6 leaves of chopped fresh basil
  • salt 
  • cumin, curry, and coriander--easy on the cumin, heavy on the coriander, and the curry somewhere in the middle
  • parmesan cheese
  • olive oil
Once the broccoflower is drained, throw it back in the pan with a tablespoon or so of olive oil, and toss it to coat along with salt and the three spices. After a minute, add the tomatoes and basil. Cook a minute or so longer, and then toss with the pasta and another tablespoon or so of olive oil. Serve with just a pinch of parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Small minded people write small minded things....keep creating for the children! I want my son to be in your cult....I mean class :0)
    ch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. If my daughters can learn tools in school that help them focus, relax, prepare, de-stress... well to me that's a huge gift. From the teacher to my child. And my daughters and I would say nothing but "thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!". And probably "We love you!" too. Please come teach in our schools!

    ReplyDelete