Sunday, January 9, 2011

1.9.11

Sunday. Huh. 

Never mind that my son emptied an entire carton of eggs into our grocery cart in the middle of the produce section today. 

Never mind my loving, sweet, one heck of a dad, kind, thoughtful, caring husband who made me the most amazing cup of coffee yesterday morning can't remember to bring the emptied compost container back into the house. 

Never mind that I spent a good 15 minutes doing a project example with a bad attitude because I know those 7th graders aren't going to put half the effort into theirs over three days that I put into 15 minutes of mine. 

I'll just rejoice in the fact that I have three days left with them. And then they are someone else's problem. Many apologies to Michael Wyatt. 

But that's not fun. 

So...what was fun today? 

I'll dedicate this last half to Susi Niewahner. 

Susi and I went to high school together. I didn't know her, although she was field commander of the marching band with my sister, Mindy. There is this absolutely stunning photo of Susi in the yearbook from our senior year. She is conducting (and totally working gold spandex) and the sun is setting. It's beautiful. 

Other than that photo, I don't know that I talked to Susi...ever...in high school.

Behold the power of Facebook.

Since connecting with her on FB, I've had a jewelry party through her Lia Sophia business, been to her house a few times, and donated some amazing China Gel to her Team in Training half marathon efforts. 

I don't think Susi ever ran before her 5K efforts this past spring. She trained with Team in Training to do a half marathon out in California this fall, and now she's training to do the full Flying Pig marathon. 

She has a beautiful family, a sense of humor, and she's tall and lovely and kind. 

Today, she ran 6 miles in 5 degree weather. And so I HAD to follow suit. 

I haven't run in the cold in...years. I thought my running days were finished a long time ago until I met a chiropractor who was smart and cared to help. 

I want to run the half Flying Pig this spring. I've been limiting my training to some serious sprint workouts indoors. I haven't even attempted thinking of going into the cold for a run...until Susi posted her amazing run this morning. 

So off I went. In many layers, a hat, mittens, and spirit. 

I'll be damned, but I had fun. A lot of fun. I threw in some hills, avoided the icy areas, and ran fast (sprint workouts must be paying off). 

The saddest part of this victory is that Greg wasn't there with me. He has a bum knee--a small tear in his lateral meniscus and will probably have to have surgery here soon. I don't know if I can do this half marathon without him. This story will unfold in the coming months.  

Until then, I'll have Susi to inspire me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment