Sunday, January 30, 2011

1.30.11

I love how many status updates on Sunday read "Sunday Family Fun Day!" And although I'm not sure what "fun" it entails, if it's anything like ours, the routine we have and just being together--combined, it makes the day fun, no matter what. 


Today I veered from routine for the yogamama monthly get together. After a much needed yoga practice, myself and 3 other yoga moms went to brunch. These dinners or brunches or whatever it may be are such a respite from our daily routines. We laugh and celebrate and toast to the insanity that is our lives as mothers, wives, employees, and women. We advise and comfort and listen and EAT. I always leave yogamama gatherings with my soul, heart, and belly full. 


I have been reflective lately on friendship, wondering whether I'm a good one to others, or if someone I deem a "friend" is really so. I like the idea of a life cleanse every now and then--separating yourself from the people who drain you. But I like the idea of a "life fill" more--surrounding yourself with the people you love who are able to love back. 


I love the power that facebook has in bringing people together. You "friend" someone from your past, just to see what they look like, who they married, what they do. And with a few of these you make a connection. You weren't close with these people ever, and yet, at this stage in your life, they have re-entered in a way you didn't previously conceive. And if we were our parents' age, we wouldn't have ever made these "new to us" connections. It's like a consignment store for friends! 


Regardless of staying power, my circle of friends at this stage in my life offer me something I've come to value this month: they are FUN. Of course they are supportive, caring, loving people, but what we do together is fun: traveling, eating, yoga-ing, running, shopping, chatting, and best of all...laughing. Oh the laughter--at ourselves, each other, life! 


Where are you now in your circle of friends? Are you surrounding yourself with the best possible people? Is it time for a life fill or a life cleanse? How much fun do you have with the people around you? 


I can't watch this video without tearing up. It sums up what friendship is, where the fun lies, where the love is. This is yogamamas, my co-workers, my friends I've known the longest, the friends who come and go. It's what it's all about. Kelly Corrigan has a wonderful book called The Middle Place. But start here. 


Have fun tomorrow.


Transcending







No comments:

Post a Comment