Saturday, January 1, 2011

1.1.11

And here we are.

First of all, props to my college roommate/sorority sister/pediatrician confidant/momma advisor Julia for inspiring this blog with my 30th birthday gift from the fabulous Red Envelope catalog: 12 candles with intentions on them, one for each month of the year.
 I chose "Fun" right off the bat because January tends to be such a drag. There's supposed to be a charm inside each candle. I figure burning it during blog time will result in said charm popping up at the end of the month.

And as I sit here with Will begging me to pull up "Yo Gabba Gabba!" on my phone to watch, Fisher curled up (or rather, squeezed) in the chair with me, a stack of papers to grade staring at me and a mid-term exam to put together on my mental To-Do List, it is very evident why I came up with this little intention.

So what was fun about today?

Last night (I know, not '11 yet) we decided to put up the tent we bought 4 years ago and never used...in our living room.


We had a pizza party picnic (and were able to zip the dogs out), but our grand scheme of sleeping in it was dashed when we realized we were, well, too tired to make sleeping in a tent fun. We decided, however, to make it a tradition. I think it will be a great memory for our kid(s)...at least, until they're 13 (are my expectations too high by making the "fun" cut-off age 13?).

Today, with fun being my meditation, I headed to a yoga class (a rarity) to begin the new year with my teacher, Katy.

Each sun salutation was dedicated to something: our Spirituality, our Mothers, Fathers, Soul Sisters, Brothers, Heroes, Lovers, Ourselves. At times, I found myself tearing up, thinking of the people who have helped shape me during the course of 30 years into this person I am. There simply wasn't enough breath to get through them all!

And then as I teared up, I thought, "You fail! You can't cry when your intention is 'fun'!" And then the new-to-yoga woman across from me wearing her Puerto Rican Goddess t-shirt  locked eyes with me in Warrior II, smiled, and we instantly started giggling. Oh my goodness was it fun! And every time she giggled in class--there was quite a bit of giggle in her!--I couldn't help but smile and laugh right along with her.

Therefore, I deem Intention Project Day 1 a success.

On my drive home, I also decided that it's not just about me having fun: it's about injecting fun into the lives of others, being fun myself, and reflecting that into the world. Maybe it'll just be funNY. Who knows. Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO inspired by you friend! I too will take the journey with you! Healing, balance and a more focused purpose are my priorities for 2011! Thank you for your courage to put yourself out there for many to learn from!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete