Saturday, January 29, 2011

1.29.11

My day began with one of my most favorite fun things...sunlight streaming in the window. Maybe it's because the sun seems to be here less and trying harder to dry out Australia more. That's okay, but this morning's sunshine was a good dose of Vitamin D.




I spent the rest of the day getting a taste of the soccer mom lifestyle. It was fun today, but if I spent every weekend like this...hmmmm...my weekends in 10 years will be very different. :o)  


Now, my mom has told me that the two or so years when the four of us kids were all in select soccer, she does not really remember anything about those years. She literally has blocked out the insanity that was 8 practices a week, 4 games on a normal weekend, and forget about it if we were all in tournaments. 


I recall puffy painting her a "Soccer Mom" sweatshirt for Christmas one year. (Remember when you puffy painted t-shirts? Now we just pay a small t-shirt shop--or online store--to have them made. I'm thinking we need to bring back the puffy paint shirt. And puffy paint slumber parties, too.) I'm hoping that one year, she'll re-gift that sweatshirt back to me. 


So because of crazy schedules, my sister Olivia got to hang out with us for the day. For those of you unfamiliar, Olivia is my almost NINE year old half-sister. Her schedule today was drop-off at our house at 8, birthday party at 12, pick up at 2, drop off at school at 3 to catch a bus to the jump roping half-time show at XU. 


The birthday party was a tea party, so we attempted to do her hair. But she had dipped it in maple syrup yesterday (lunch accident), and the knots were unmanageable, so I had to put my mom hat on and tell her to take a shower. Post-shower, we dried and curled her hair (which was so much fun for me--beauty shop with my sister? Yes please), and she looked fabulous:


I felt like I was living up to my Danika Patrick nickname as I raced from one side of Anderson to the other, made her change, threw her hair into a ponytail, gathered my own kid and husband, and went back out the door to school. I had 2 kids in the back of my station wagon. Soccer mom definition: complete. Giggles in the backseat: precious.




Once Olivia was safe on the cheese wagon, Greg and I took Will swimming at the gym. Ah he is a natural little fish. Actually, I think Greg called him an otter, and then tried to tell me something about otters cracking open clams on their bellies with rocks. Funny guy that one.


Finally, I leave you tonight with what I think is really the heart and soul of this project, for January. How can we make the every day mundane tasks of life more fun? If we set the intention out there, can we really manifest it for ourselves? This has been floating around facebook, saw it today and loved it. Was extra excited it was VW sponsored, as that is Greg's current car company obsession. Watch. Enjoy. Apply to life.

The Dreaded Stairs



1 comment:

  1. You said it friend...it is about sharing our life....the mundane, the challenge, the sadness and the FUN and just doing this thing TOGETHER!! That is the only way to have real FUN!

    ReplyDelete