Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1.11.11

Snow day! 


They take on a whole new, amazing meaning when there is a little one(s) in your life. They become so much more cherished. 


So while I did all of the obligatory snow day activities (sipped a second cup of coffee; spent a couple of hours with Matt, Meredith, and Al; baked brownies for my French I kids (who are currently biting their nails as their mid-term exam looms for them tomorrow); and stayed in my PJs until 5:00), there is one thing I didn't do: everything else. 


Will went down for a nap and I had a choice: laundry, emails, dishes, picking up--OR--absolutely nothing. 


This little gem was in my inbox this morning, in my DailyOM horoscope that I rarely take the time to read (unless it's 30 seconds at a red light, and my phone is low and shielded from police officers):
By now, you have likely come to accept that being mature has little to do with the games you play or the hobbies you pursue. This can be the perfect day to spend some time around children or to invite your loved ones to explore the realm of youthful joy with you. The mini childhood you experience today can last for some time if you integrate play into your daily routine. 


For me, "mini childhood" translated into taking Will's nap time to grab my Snuggie, "Ratatouille," a few dogs and a lot of pillows, and falling asleep on the couch. Once he woke up, we continued that childhood snow day routine, and we went outside.



I'll admit, we didn't last long. Will despises his snow boots, refused to wear mittens, and it was hard to avoid tripping over the logs from the fallen tree in the yard. But once we went inside, we warmed up with cocoa, "Toy Story," and books.




And now here I am, pile of laundry staring me down, fallen block towers at my feet, Disney tunes running through my head, and dishes in the sink. Rather than be frantic, I'm totally at peace. Today was fun. Chores and the mundane life stuff that we often let get in the way should come second to childhood more often.


Lastly, today's magical date is important for 2 reasons. 


1. My mom and stepdad celebrate their 19th wedding anniversary. Momentous on so many levels. Happy Anniversary you two. 


2. You know how you have 2 or 3 of those dearest friends that you tell absolutely everything to? Today is one of those friends' birthdays. Happy birthday Serena. Tonight's toast goes to you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks KK! Can't wait to see you and that handsome young man in the picture again (holy cow he is getting so big)! Skype date soon?!

    ReplyDelete