Sunday, September 4, 2011

9.4.11

In the interest of you, my readers, I just made myself a cup of coffee at 7 p.m. so I could bring you this joyful treat. Seriously. It's joy in a cup. I may not sleep for hours, but it's joy in a cup!


A facebook friend posted a link to a pumpkin spice syrup recipe for lattes. Since my nausea has pretty much dissipated, and I allow myself one caffeinated beverage a day, and it was gray and dreary all day, I decided it was time to make the syrup. Helloooooo fall!


It promised to kick the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte habit. Expectations were high.


And I am so happy to say, they were met! If it's possible, I like it better than the $5 variety down the street!


Here's my version of the recipe, doctored to suit my tastebuds that don't particularly care for ginger (although you can find the original version here). Grab a can of pumpkin tomorrow (they were half gone at my grocery store today--are people stocking up for Thanksgiving already??) and enjoy!


1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon, or 4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
2 1/2 tbsp. pumpkin puree


In a saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar into the water. Once it is dissolved, add the remainder of the ingredients. Do not let the mixture boil. Instead, heat it for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently. 


The mixture did say to strain it. I did not see a reason to do this step.


For my latte, I poured the syrup into coffee with milk to suit my tastebuds. You could always add whipped creme. Mmmmmm.


Store in your refrigerator (I poured mine into an old coffee creamer bottle). I'm sure it will keep for at least a week!



No comments:

Post a Comment