Monday, September 19, 2011

9.19.11

It's said that when we no longer need things, they often disappear, to let us know that we've grown and we are okay.


A good friend recently lost her wedding ring. As soon as she had come to terms with it and let it go, her husband found it, covered in soot but intact (and ready for a shiny new setting). In my opinion, it wandered off in the first place to help her understand the beauty in letting go of the material, when we know the lesson by heart.


Greg purchased a beautiful necklace for me several years ago for Christmas. It was a crazy looking woman, arms sort of wrapped around herself. I called it my "self love" necklace. 


At some point, she disappeared. I couldn't find her anywhere. My sweet yoga teacher told me she went away because I didn't need her anymore. I had taken on everything I needed to from it.


Three or so years down the road, she reappeared, in a spot I had looked a hundred times before. She was a little tarnished, and yet beaming back at me as if to say, "Just dropping in. How is everything?" 


The point in putting this all out there is that I donated this t-shirt recently to a local charity. I'm losing it on purpose.


I purchased it in Paris several years ago--I saw so many people with similarly phrased shirts walking the streets, I went so far as to inquire about the store, and tracked it down in the Latin Quarter.


J'ai décidé d'être heureuse.


I decided to be happy.


Maybe I wasn't at the time. Maybe I needed a little reminder, and it made me happy to have the pretty French script shout it for the world to see. I decided to be happy, won't you be happy, too? it seems to ask. 


I hope someone finds it, and doesn't know what it says. I hope they pick it up and buy it for a dollar, and then go home and figure it out. 


I hope they smile, and think, "Yeah, I needed this. I should decide to be happy. Happy is where it's at." 


Just spreading a little joy, one "lost" Parisian t-shirt at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment