Tuesday, September 20, 2011

9.20.11

We've been bee-bopping around spin instructors for awhile--our favorite left in May--and tonight we found Vickie. 


It also happened to be Vickie's first night. She was a joy. She was inspiring. I loved her music, her style, and the fact that she personally came to my bike twice and said, "Turn it up a notch--show me what you've got." 


Vickie is also the Cincinnati spearhead organizer for Spin for the Cure. She was inspired to start it by her friend with breast cancer, Heather Ray, who last year rode for five hours, with only one leg. Just a month or so after the ride, Heather lost her battle. 


So that was enough for me. 


Greg and I are going to Spin for the Cure on October 8th at the Cintas Center. I'm not sure where we are going to find the $300 to do it, but we will. The cause is too important, Vickie and her friend too inspiring. We'll each ride for two hours. We'll go on adrenaline. 


And we will smile, for all those who have survived, and in celebration of those who have left. 


I'm sure we will be surrounded by tears, but perhaps they will be tears of joy. And I'll pedal my pregnant heart out, for Amanda's Aunt Jackie, and for Libby's mom Nancy, and for Angie, who teaches in the hallway above mine and leaves school and drives to chemo, and for all of you who know someone who has been affected. 


I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment