Saturday, August 27, 2011

8.27.11

Greg and I ventured into the world of garage sales today.


We tagged on to some friends of ours who were having their own. 


I think one of the funniest things about garage sales is that at some point, I paid serious money for the crap I was trying to sell. We sold a TV that was, at one time, $400...for $15.


After loading up my car with odds and ends around the house (including some seriously ugly lamps from our lamp graveyard in the basement), we managed to sell the majority of it and bring in $89. Pretty lucky we sold that much--even a few of those ugly lamps!


Today was full of valuable lessons about the art of the garage sale (and its clients). I was continuously shocked at what people stopped by to purchase. One woman walked away with used toilet seat cover and mat. I mean...really? Another stopped by just for an old game of checkers...that cost a quarter.


I also was surprised at what sells at garage sales (old pots and pans, books, clothes, and even shoes...used tennis shoes? One woman walked away with only that!) and what doesn't (glassware, art, lamps--except the ugly ones--all things which I thought would be sure sellers).


Our friends who hosted faired so well, they've inspired us to do our own...and I'll be getting that together in all of my free time in the coming weeks. Or waiting until next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment