Saturday, August 20, 2011

8.20.11

Greg and I both went in to get Will out his crib this morning. I sat in his rocking chair, and I cried. I knew it would be the last time we would pick him up out of his crib. I have tears in my eyes just typing it! 


Yes, there will be another baby to pick up out of there soon enough. But it won't be Will...it won't be the only baby we've known so far! 


Nap time was a little iffy. We installed a gate to keep him contained. He cried for a bit (and by "a bit" I mean 15 minutes) before he fell asleep. He never got up, and he called for us to come get him when he woke up. Was it really this easy? Really?


After an evening at Coney playing in the pool and riding rides with his cousins (happy to report that when we put him on the ride by himself--the airplanes--I held my breath, waiting for tears...and then he smiled!), we talked up the bed again, and he was excited to sleep in it. We read a few stories, Greg had him lay down, and we kissed him good night.


We left the room.


"Mama?" 


Like the baby that cries in his crib, I wasn't going to come running right away. 


I heard it three or four times, and then he was quiet.


Yes, it really was that easy, and yes, I am thanking all those lucky stars. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah...... the Big Boy Bed. Yes someday your Thing 1 and Thing 2 will be 16 and 18 (like my Teddy & Julia, and Judi's Christian & Grace) but the joyful thing right now (the mindful thing) is that you are soaking up every bit of it. Right now. Much love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete