Friday, August 26, 2011

8.26.11

It was date night tonight, and I double dipped by scheduling the rendezvous both with Greg and my yoga mat.


The studio I teach with, yogahOMe, brings in incredible yogi superstars throughout the year. This weekend, we brought back Girish, a well known yogi musician (if you can believe there is such a niche!) who strums his guitar, plays his harmonium, and sings in both Sanskrit and English oh so soothingly. 


I don't get to many classes these days, and I've mentioned this before. So when I practice with the guidance of another voice, and even more, when I practice to live music, I am moved.


I spent the majority of the class tonight in tears. Obviously, this isn't unusual these days, as I think I've mentioned crying in every single post for the last week. 


The practice was not physically difficult, but it wasn't the sequence of poses that I was concentrating on. It was, once again, that emotional release that welled right up from the deepest parts of my heart and soul. 


Sometimes you need to set yourself free. There were definitely tears streaming freely while Girish sang this.


And we ended the class with a little Kirtan, a sort of yoga music concert that involves call and response. Girish chose Long Time Sun to send us off for the night. I've been playing this song in all of my savasanas for the last several weeks. You can hear a clip of it here.


I sang my heart out. And I didn't cry. 


I simply allowed myself to soak it all in: the sounds, the mantras, the energies. I allowed myself to be completely peaceful and joyful. I closed my eyes and sang, as vulnerable as anything. 


I left filled with the deepest gratitude for my practice.



1 comment:

  1. Kristin-
    It was so nice to see you (and of course Greg) tonight. I am hoping to make Girish tomorrow night (with my husband too) or at his class tomorrow AM. Your post convinced me!
    <3 Cole

    ReplyDelete