Friday, June 17, 2011

Adventures From the Home Front (Greg Edition)


I also quickly realized that this was going to be a lot more daunting task after I volunteered to write tonight. My wife certainly makes this look easy on a daily basis. She can pop one of these out in 15 minutes while sitting in front of the tv. I’ve probably wasted too much time at work just writing this opening.

My stand-in intention is to provide an update of the adventure on the home front while mom is away. I think Kristin and I both had some trepidation leading up to departure day. Kristin was concerned that a) the plane was going to crash and/or b) Will would somehow grow up in 10 days, forget his mama, speak fluent French (or worse, Spanish), be doing back flips in the yard and somehow solving differential equations. I am happy to report that her plane landed safely at Charles de Gaulle (as evidenced by her recent posts from across the pond) and Will is still the precocious almost two year-old still enchanted by Barney, big wooden puzzles, tormenting the dogs and eating goldfish crackers. We talked to mama the other night on speakerphone and hopefully, he’ll get to Skype once or twice this weekend (?). He is recognizing the letters of the alphabet at a 90% success rate, which impressed Grandma Nickol and I last night!

Speaking of Grandma Nickol… I think I was most worried about staying sane while Kristin was out of the country. This is the second year she has graciously volunteered to stay with us and entertain Will during the day (Ok, she also cooks and cleans and folds laundry for me as well. While some might cringe at the thought of spending the week alone with your mother-in-law, I have to say I don’t. I am very lucky to have an MIL that will drop everything and come baby-sit her grandson and son-in-law). The two days Will and I were by ourselves before she got here were some of the longest and most exhausting I’ve experienced since becoming a father. I have the utmost respect for those who single-parent on a full time basis.

So, back to the adventures on the home front… So far we have survived:
-          diaper rash that was probably caused by
-          teething (think the last bottom tooth has popped in)
-          a few minor temper tantrums probably caused by teething and the babysitter situation
-          one vomiting chocolate Labrador
-          one chocolate Labrador with diarrhea
-          no matches to light scented candles to counteract said vomiting and pooping Chocolate Labradors
-          one broken light switch in the brand new walk-in closet causing the brand new master suite circuit breaker to blow
-          said broken light switch replaced by one handy husband/father

All very minor things and we are almost to the halfway point of this adventure. Grandma is with us another three days. Kristin will return three days after that. Life will return to “normal”. Days will be filled with morning coffee and the Today Show Barney and trips to Coney Island and the zoo. We’ll both have a greater understanding of how we couldn’t possibly manage without the other.

Ok, that’s enough for me. The Brett Favre/Cal Ripken Jr.* of blogging hopefully returns tomorrow with a story of a midnight train ride adventure across the French and Spanish countryside!


* Brett Favre and Cal Ripken Jr. set the record for consecutive games played in the NFL and Major League Baseball

No comments:

Post a Comment