Sunday, June 19, 2011

6.19.11

Tomorrow, the kids go home.


Tomorrow, I begin my vacation. Three days on a beach, partaking in Spanish festivals (and Spanish Sangria!), a yoga class perhaps, and some definite deep breaths of warm sea air. I won't be counting heads, checking beds, or defining menus and signs for anyone but myself. Bliss.


But first, there was one last thing we had to do as a large group, and that brings us to our final tip on traveling with teenagers in Europe. 


14. If it's all about adventure, then you absolutely must walk your students through thousands of Spanish protesters, not once, but twice, as a cultural experience. 


This morning we took them to the beach, and then headed to the Picasso museum in the afternoon. When we came out, chaos had erupted. I haven't seen crazy like that since the Puerto Rican Day Parade I got caught in in NYC ten years ago! 


Today's protesters were peaceful; there were just so many of them. I'd estimate 10,000+ shut down the main streets in Barcelona and shouted with their signs and blew their whistles, all in regard to the economy and jobs (unemployment is at 20% here). 


We needed to meet our tour guide at a metro station at 6:00, and the only way to get there was to cross the protest route. So we held hands, made a chain, and dashed. It was symbolic, really--we took their hands, guided them safely, and they will look back on the experience fondly, with great stories to tell.


So the kids thought it was "cool." Their teachers thought it was "scary." I think we can all agree that it was the craziest ending to a European adventure.


P.S. To my husband: you are the most amazing, kind, caring, intelligent, funny dad that Will or I could ask for. We are beyond lucky, beyond blessed. I promise that I will be home next year on Father's Day...for the first time. :o)
To my own father: I may have inherited your square toes and stinky feet, but I sure am glad that I have your sense of humor and your love of good food. Talking to you brightens any day for me. I love you. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment