Saturday, June 18, 2011

6.18.11

First and foremost, a million thank yous to my sweet husband who came up with the idea of not letting my year of daily entries reach its first snag. His entry was lovely, and funny, and made me miss home that much more. 


But, back into the moment. I feel I should continue the tips, and we will start tonight with number...


9. Overnight train rides are for the birds. And other tiny creatures that aren't claustrophobic. Oddly enough, the kids weren't running back and forth to each other's compartments all night long like they usually do. However, despite our best efforts, 


10. someone left their passport pouch on the train. The good news? The passport was with our tour guide from the overnight border crossing. The bad news? All of her money was in the pouch. Fortunately there's just a lunch and some souvenirs left, and we will spot her the cash in the meantime (and for the record, I dole out money every. single. year. Why there is always an issue is beyond me). 


11. I have a secret. I prefer Spanish cuisine over the French stuff any day of the week. The pastries are pretty much the same, the ice cream is still gelato, and despite what the Frenchies might tell you, Spanish coffee is where it's at. I had two of these this morning...


Heaven. 


If a dear blog reader (or readers) would like to go in and anonymously send me an espresso machine, I would be madly in love with you for forever.


12. When in Barcelona, go to La Boqueria. It is my favorite every year. Within 30 minutes I had consumed fresh pineapple-coconut juice; dried kiwis, dried mangos, and dried strawberries; and a scoop of stracciatella gelato. 




Heaven. Part deux. Or dos, I suppose.


13. If you'll recall from tip number eight, it is very important to treat the teenagers like something other than teenagers. But it is also very important to let them be kids, and buy aviators and mini sombreros. 


There's a fine line between the two--walking it is always an adventure. 


P.S. There were going to be fabulous photos, buuuuuuut, due to 150 American teenagers in our hotel cramming the Wi-Fi to get onto Facebook, I don't have the patience to wait for it to uncram. So I'll add them tomorrow morning. 





No comments:

Post a Comment