Thursday, December 29, 2011

12.29.11

I'm blogging tonight from my kitchen, click clacking away in the fifteen minutes I'm waiting for my brussels sprouts to finish roasting and my carrots to finish soaking up their sweet honey glaze.


I've immensely enjoyed cooking on this little winter vacation (which can't really be deemed "winter" given that it's 51 degrees outside, but the crackling fire Greg just built might persuade me otherwise), baking desserts and roasting this and that--there's something about filling your house with the scents of traditional holiday foods that can't help but make you feel festive and...fill you with a sense of peace that can only come with the aroma of nostalgia.


I've got one more "holiday" left to cook for, and that's New Year's Eve.


If Greg and I were big anniversary people, then we would be counting this New Year's Eve as our ninth anniversary of truly being "together," and it was probably the last New Year's Eve we spent out on the town. And by "probably," I mean it most definitely was. 


And this NYE you will find us doing the same thing we've done for the last eight: cooking, sitting by a fire, enjoying each other's company, and the peace that comes with knowing we don't have to spend a lot of money, find a designated driver, or be hungover the next day to ensure we've had a good time.


I'll wrap up the holiday cooking season that evening, maybe with my mom's traditional cabbage rolls, and we'll toast each other at 9:00, just before we turn off the light and fall asleep. 


There goes my timer. 


What are you doing to celebrate the end of 2011? I'm thinking a kid-friendly party is in our future one of these years. Maybe it'll become one of those traditions.


Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that New Years should be a family {and friends} event...and that a kid-friendly party would be fabulous! Hope the pregnancy is treating you well:)

    ReplyDelete