Monday, December 26, 2011

12.26.11

Greg and I decided we weren't going to do Christmas presents this year--not even gummy bears or Sweet Tarts in our stockings--for a few reasons:
1. We are gifting ourselves--our family--a house we hope to love and live in for many years.
2. We realized, with a bit of nostalgic sadness, that Christmas isn't about us anymore.
3. We had another really big gift to give.


We were awake at five yesterday morning, and this time it wasn't the fault of Will. For me, I was purely excited about the gift for my mom and my stepdad. 


My three siblings and I decided to give them a Happy 60th Birthday/Happy 20th Wedding Anniversary present. After a few months of planning, many many text messages, and a very large secret, everything was revealed yesterday morning.


First, they unwrapped shovels.


We convinced them we'd purchased side-by-side grave sites, and they may need to start digging. Hahaha.


Next came the big box of sand. Now they really did have to dig.


They found the buried treasure...


...but had to unlock the chest...


And as soon as they realized we were taking a family vacation for the first time in fifteen years at our old family vacation standby spot (Myrtle Beach), they were all smiles...


...and then they clutched each other sobbing hysterically.


Knowing now what it feels like to have kids, and to love having them around, I completely understand their tears of joy. 


Something tells me their world will feel a little bit more complete--perhaps at peace--come August, when we're all digging in the sand and riding waves...together...once again.


P.S. Dad, if you're reading this, you know you turn 60 next year...watch out next Christmas! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment