Saturday, April 30, 2011

4.30.11

On this last day of my month of "balance," I had the most beautiful lesson from my greatest teacher. 


Greg and I made this perfect sunny day a Family Fun Day. We bought a bike trailer yesterday and took it out on the Loveland Bike Trail. 


Of course, finicky Will only let us make it about 10 miles total. Sitting buckled in with the sun in his eyes wasn't really his cup of tea. 


Afterward, we went for ice cream. Will enjoyed his first ice cream cone, which he inevitably let fall on the side walk. The resulting crying was to be expected I suppose. 


We came home and I was beat (I took a trip this morning to Urgent Care for a sinus infection). I lay on the couch and was able to doze for about an hour. I heard Will and Greg playing on the floor in front of me, in and out of sleep. I finally woke up to a Q-tip poking my eyelids. I think Will was ready for mom to wake up. 


As I opened my eyes, I got a sweet kiss on the forehead. 


Mom duty called. I got up, made him dinner (tonight, I believe he ate more ketchup with a spoon than anything else). 


I scrubbed the mud from the backyard off of him in his bath, put on his PJs and it was time for books. 


On most nights I read Freight Train or Snowy Day for the millionth time. 


Tonight, Will grabbed the book that any mom reading this will know quite well.


Love You Forever was put into my hands.


He climbed in my lap, snuggled in, and waited for me to begin. 


By the time the old lady was sick, the tears were streaming down my face, and my voice was pitchy and squeaky as I plowed through the words. 


I closed the book, kissed the top of his head. He hopped down, did a little lap around the room, and came right back to me for a big Mom hug. 


William and his tantrums...his "No!"...his picking up spiders and bringing them to me as gifts...his muddy hands, his muddy everything...his kicking and screaming...his everything that makes him a toddler boy...


...this is all balanced out with the kisses, the hugs, the bedtime stories...it's the balance of the good and the bad, the too much and the just enough, the frustration and the heart-melting love...it's the balance of all that we go through in life personified this evening between a mom and her son.


Thank you, William.


May's intention is...



1 comment:

  1. My "bubba" will be 11 tomorrow and I have read him that same book 1,000 times...I even sing the song and he always says, " I love you mom, but you can't sing"
    He promised me that he would put me in his lap if I lived to be 90!

    ReplyDelete