Friday, April 22, 2011

4.22.11

Happy Day to You, Earth.


I spent the morning hugging my favorite friends and yogis. It was a beautiful practice, as we rooted ourselves deep into you, and let ourselves fill with your beauty. 


As I am two-thirds through The Ominvore's Dilemma, I am especially aware of things I need to continue to do, and start doing, in order to best protect your land and waters in my teeny tiny little one human way. 

  • My family will continue to compost, and fertilize our gardens and yard with the things that came from the earth to begin with.
  • We will also continue to use our enormous recycling bin (no really, look at it here) for, well, just about everything.
  • We just joined Green B.E.A.N. delivery, so that we can buy fruits and vegetables at an organic and (most importantly) local level, reducing the carbon footprint and the amount of energy that is currently being used to get us organic foods from California, South America, and other far away places.
  • My reusable bags will now go with me everywhere, not just to the grocery. 
  • I will continue to assign my World Tap Give Back project twice a year, so that 160 6th graders keeping doing good by picking up trash on the roads and in the parks around the neighborhood.
  • Most importantly, I will instill in my own child(ren) an appreciation of and a responsibility to protect your resources.
I'm hoping, dear Mother Earth, that these things will somehow offset (ahem, balance) the fact that I use disposable diapers, drive a car 30 minutes to work each way, and use a gas-powered lawn mower. I confess out of guilt. :o)

Looking for a quick read on eating clean? Click here. Looking for an in-depth look at how our country's food system runs? Read this

No comments:

Post a Comment