Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3.9.11

I woke up this morning, rolled over, and the Universe said, "Here's a big pile of crappy day. Go forth and prosper." 

'Tis true. Was not the best day of the year. 

Here's what was different about it: I was successful at not letting it destroy me. 

Too often in the past I would let the crappy day rule every minute. No bright spots. Just mopey me, sighing heavily, rolling my eyes, complaining, and throwing a pity party with only one person invited: me. 

So how was I more successful today? 

1. I let myself cry (if you were in my hallway in the first 5 minutes of first bell, those heaping sobs were me). That was the beginning of the release.

2. It continued with being honest enough when people asked how I was feeling. I didn't smile and fake a perky "Great! You?" But I also didn't slump my shoulders, sniffle, pout, and say something dramatic like, "Oh I've seen better days." 

3. I savored the bright spots. Instead of glossing over them and dwelling on doom and gloom, I stopped, smiled, and yelled at the Universe, "How's that for prospering?!" 

4. On my way home from Teacher Party (otherwise known as parent-teacher conferences...I can't help it, I LOVE these nights! It's dark out, everyone's at work, we all laugh, delirious from fatigue--it's like an illegal party!), I listened to a song that has been on repeat for awhile. I also love Mumford & Sons..."In this body we will live, in this body we will die, and where you invest your love, you invest your life." 

And that, dear friends, is the whole reason I was successful. I choose where I dwell emotionally. I choose my attitude. Universe: I win. 


No comments:

Post a Comment