Sunday, March 6, 2011

3.6.11

So I had posted on Facebook earlier today that I was having some signs of anemia...fatigue, pale, a bit of nausea/loss of appetite, dizziness (I almost passed out in Target!), headaches. Sure, could be a virus. But it's been going on for a little more than a week, starting with headaches.


I don't want to turn this into a forum for detailed descriptions of my symptoms and discussions of what could be wrong with me (and I'm not pregnant--took a test this evening). I am scheduled to see the doctor this Thursday anyway, so I will just keep my fingers crossed that they can do some blood work and help me out. 


As a preliminary it-could-be-anemia-so-let's-eat-better effort to maintain successful vegetarianism, I purchased iron supplements today, and made quinoa and tofu to take for lunch this week (the baked tofu recipe I have from the Moosewood cookbook is absolutely amazing and simple: extra firm tofu (pressed and drained for 15 minutes), sliced into 3/4" chunks, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 4 tbsp. soy sauce, 2 cloves minced garlic. Toss and bake in a baking dish for 30 minutes at 400 degrees). Also on the menu this week: kale, beans, and eggs.


I've been vegetarian for almost a full year--essentially no chicken, beef, pork, or other land animal muscle. Fish, eggs, and dairy are still very much a part of my diet. We eat loads of vegetables and fruits. I'm not really sure where I went wrong in the recent weeks, but I'm thinking a lack of protein and good sources of iron are probably to blame. 


Of course...it could always be something else...


I should throw in there that I am a shameful googler of my symptoms. Last week I diagnosed myself with brain cancer due to eye pain and a bizarre twitch. Turns out I was tired and had a cat hair stuck in my eye for a couple of days...true story.


At any rate, I have some phenomenal guest blogger "success" intentions to share with you this week, so stay tuned, and be prepared to be inspired. :o)







No comments:

Post a Comment