Thursday, March 17, 2011

3.17.11

Happy St. Patrick's Day from this very non-Irish lassie. 


Epic hope (upon which I must draw the luck of the Irish...someone find me a field of four leaf clovers. Stat.):


I have my red pen and yellow highlighter, and I am armed with my brackets. I am hoping for success, knowing my selection of teams based on things like eliminating them if their name didn't fit in the bracket blank, or disliking not the team, but the fans, is sure to bring me a winner!


Epic fail:


I can think of a million places I would rather be right now...it's 70 degrees and sunny, my husband's plane just landed 10 minutes ago, my son is probably playing outside with his cousins, there is one beer left in my refrigerator, basketball is on TV, and the drunken posts are starting to roll in on Facebook. 


But I am here. Last Teacher Party of the year. Piles of work staring at me, and an empty third glass of iced tea which means I more than likely will not fall asleep easily tonight. 


Epic win:


I scheduled two conferences tonight specifically to address the academic needs of two students. I despise calling parents. You never know what you're going to get. For that, I give myself a pat on the back. However, calling home and scheduling conferences is not out of the ordinary. This act does not set me apart from any other teacher. 


During these conferences, we devised plans of action to help these students perform better not just in my class, but in all of their classes. This does not set me apart from any other teacher. 


I shook hands with the parents (and even one of the students reached out his hand for a shake), and as I said goodbye, I knew that what we decided in those plans, is going to make a world of difference to those students. I am going to help them be more successful. Me. 


This does not set me apart from any other teacher.


But you can't take away the feeling of pride I have right now, in knowing that not only did I do the right thing, I am doing a damned good job, too. 



1 comment:

  1. You are doing an EXCELLENT job and you are surely a change agent @ our school! I cannot wait til my littlest man may have the priviledge of having Kauffman on his schedule! Do stay around long enough for that to happen please!

    ReplyDelete