Thursday, March 3, 2011

3.3.11

Tonight I made it to my mat with the yogamamas. We were fortunate enough to soak in some love that is Mer. 


Mer is truly a gem. She throws simplistic thoughts at you the whole class, and you soak it in, whether you are aware or not. 


During tonight's class, she said something that was particularly striking to me. In fact, I learned something new about myself. Win!


"If you always come to your mat and want your ass kicked, that's probably how you feel about life off your mat. And what are you getting from that? Just be in the now, it's always enough and it's never too much. Take enough in to nourish yourself." 


Stunningly perfect.


What I learned: my practice has changed. I mean reeeeeeeally changed. Which means my life has changed.


I was that girl who wanted my ass kicked, who wanted the calorie burning ball busting workout. Off my mat, I was that girl who thrived on stress, crazy schedules, insane fatigue--essentially, a daily ass-kicking.


I am extremely proud to say that I am no longer that girl. In my practice I want just enough, a good stretch, a nice adjustment, strong postures, lots of breath. Off my mat, I don't want stress and craziness and fatigue. I have learned, I'm thinking, that I don't need to sweat, be tired, and overextend myself to feel...accomplished. 


Wow. What a lesson to have learned, and to have recognized this evening. Thank you, Mer. Thank you thank you. 


Reaching this point...that is success.


Now, what can we do to help another blog reader? 


She wrote to me, short and simple:


Surrender to whatever is happening inside of me.


I'll start.


Rather than looking at it as giving in, let it go, whatever "it" may be. Let it drip, sweat, cry, laugh, release, flush, wash right out. Let it all go. It doesn't own you, it doesn't get to decide who wins. You decide that. So let it go. Give it walking papers, waivers, $200 as it passes Go. Buh-bye. Success. Yours.







No comments:

Post a Comment