Monday, November 7, 2011

11.7.11

Back in March, I blogged about what teaching means to me.


I was angry in March. My blog was in response to the legislation being passed in Wisconsin that seemed to insult teachers and other public workers, and it appeared Ohio was getting ready to follow suit.


Well Ohio did, and tomorrow, the voters of this midwest state will determine whether or not Senate Bill 5 should be repealed. 


I will vote "No" tomorrow on Issue 2, and a "No" vote would repeal SB5. But I'm not voting for the same reasons the commercials are trying to convince people.

There is good in SB5. I said it. I believe it. I am a public employee, and I admit to seeing a bit of light to what most "No" voters are declaring as Ohio's biggest disgrace. 

It was pushed through as legislation in a dirty, no good way. The people that make these decisions in Columbus are, well, crooked. I take issue with that.

I also take issue with the fact that private sector employees think my job is cushy and this bill should be passed to punish me.

I make crap money, work my tailfeather off, and heck yes I like my benefits! 

But I also LOVE. MY. JOB. When I say, "I'm here for the kids," it's not the BS that many people think it is. Because I am. And what's in it for me? I get to be creative in a new way on a daily basis, all to their benefit.

That, my friends, is my definition of job satisfaction

Now, where I see beauty in SB5 (because, well, most of it is ugly) is where the bill holds me accountable for my job. I get a raise if I do a good job, not because my salary schedule says that I'm due for one (and since I stayed at work until 4:00 grading tests after implementing an intervention plan in one class, I have the proof that you can hold me accountable all you want).

I agree with that. If you are reading this, and you are a teacher, you shouldn't be worried about it either. 

This part of SB5 doesn't scare me one bit. The only thing constant in any profession is change. I'm open to it, and I accept that it's coming my way eventually.

What does scare me is that SB5 could pass as is, which takes away a serious bonus of teaching--and firefighting, and police work, etc.--great benefits, and our ability to negotiate for them. 


I am held accountable to you, the taxpayer. Now you get to decide what happens to my financial future tomorrow. I took a pay freeze for three years--no raises of any kind, whatsoever until 2014 at the earliest. If tomorrow, I were going to go and vote on an increase in your health insurance and a decrease in your retirement contribution, what would you be telling me to do? 


I love your kids. Whatever you decide will not affect that fact.

I will be voting "No" on SB5, not in rejection of the whole bill, but in hopes that the powers that be can draft something that is a bit more fair--I'm looking for give and take--I'll bend this way if you bend that way. 

Enough of that.


And if you vote "Yes," I will still love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment