Wednesday, November 16, 2011

11.16.11

So here's something I don't love: surprises.


This is why I often ruin birthday presents, Christmas gifts, and of course, why I have to find out what the babies are before they enter the world. It's also why I dislike last-minute faculty meetings, missed calls from people I haven't heard from in ages, and those dumb e-mail forwards where you watch a video and halfway through feeling enthralled by it, some guy with a chainsaw and disfigured face pops on the screen.


I think that I'm in the minority on this disliking surprises, so tonight's giveaway is...a surprise! One hint: it has to do with food. 


If you are willing to take your chances (and really, would I make it something bad?), leave a comment telling me how much you love surprises and why. I feel like I need to be convinced they are worth it! 


Congratulations to Rachel, Laura S., Jen, Melissa, and Laura H. for winning the flowers, and thank you for leaving such kind words and inspiration for my teacher friend! Message me your mailing address (and which flower you think you'd prefer), and I'll send them your way.



3 comments:

  1. While I love getting surprised myself, what I love MORE is surprising other people (sorry!). The best feeling in the world is having a surprise for someone that you cannot wait to give! I guess it's true.... 'tis better to give than receive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True surprises are the essence of this all-too-planned-out life we live in. Think about it; how often do we truly have the pleasure of being surprised? We choose the time our alarm clocks will go off each morn, the clothes we're going to wear, our breakfast spread, our jobs, our ... our... our....(get it?). What about those moments when life chooses FOR us; when we DON'T have the control we think is essential to survival? Those are the moments that teach us. That shape us; the moments when we get to find out what we're made of. Sure-they're not all perfect moments but I'll bet if you search your memory for moments you hold dear, they'll often involve a surprise element. Sometimes, it pays to just 'let loose' and ride the waves :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted a surprise birthday party as a kid, and when I finally received one, I knew all about it ahead of time! It was kind of a let-down. My parents made it up to me by throwing me a surprise wedding reception...sounds crazy, I know. I helped organize a 60th birthday party for my mom, who turned it into a wedding party for Bryan and me. I was actually surprised this time (if I had known, I would have worn something other than jeans!). The reason for the wedding reception was that I gave my family the biggest surprise of all: I married my husband on a random Thursday night in an out-dated law office in Virginia. No one else knew about it until it was over. I went to work the next day and showed everyone my ring (we weren't even engaged). It is probably also fitting that my son, Blake, was also a huge surprise. And, after only having boys born to the Harman family for multiple generations, Cora was the best surprise ever on her birthday! The only way that I could wait to find out what I was having with her was because I knew it was a boy...so I was literally screaming when a little girl was born! It made the rest of that surgery bearable! So, I guess I do like surprises!

    ReplyDelete