Wednesday, November 2, 2011

11.2.11

Second quarter started today (um, why is time going so quickly?!), and with its commencement I received a new batch of students.

I don't enjoy that I have previous experiences with students that were unpleasant. I see them pop up on my class lists, and I freak out. Is it going to be the same battles, the same misery again for the next forty-five days? I contemplate, I get butterflies, I mull it over with co-workers, and the anxiety builds.

But then on the day I welcome them into my class, I change my mindset.

Behold the power of music and song lyrics.

Have you ever cried during a movie and thought, "If it weren't for the accompanying music, I think I'd be okay"? I feel that way about funerals, too. Funeral music is just so...emotional.

I love singing in the car. I even love car dancing. I am a lyrics queen, and my Volvo has amazing acoustics (ha!). 

On the first day of school this year, I played One Republic's "Good Life" over and over (and over) again on my way to work. I decided that if the kids on my class list were mean and grumpy and lacking a good life, I'd show them what one is. "Please tell me what there is to complain about," they sing. I wasn't going to let there be much of anything. I was going to make it work. 

I was empowered! And on most days, I stayed that way.

Today I had a cover of U2's "Beautiful Day" from The Sing-Off. So I'm cruising along 75 and I'm belting it out, and for the first time I hear, "Reach me, I know I'm not a hopeless case." 

I burst into tears. 

Crying on 75 in the dark during morning rush isn't recommended.

Of course they aren't hopeless! These are eighth graders--it's my last chance to truly reach them. You can do it, Mrs. Kauffman! You can! You can do anything for forty-five days!

At 7:38, I welcomed them into room 109. They smiled as I greeted them.

I do love a Beautiful Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment